Thursday, July 29, 2010

I can't believe...

that my son Chris turns 25 today! He looks maybe 16 though, as many of you know my son Chris has Downs Syndrome. I still remember the day he was born, I was 19 and told there was something wrong with my son. My first instinct was protection, then it was questions like what is Downs Syndrome? Can I take him home? Will he live? I was so young and scared at the unknown, but one look into his tiny little face and I knew at that moment that I had to do everything that I possibly could for him. He needed me to protect him, to love him, nurture him and be there for him. As a mother I became very protective of him, I would lash out to people who were ignorant. You see they didn't know that though its hard to have a child with a disability it is also in some strange way a blessing. He has definitely given us our fare share of headaches but the laughter, and love has all been worth it. Today he's 25 a man, I was told he wouldn't live past 10, I was too young to care for him, I couldn't give him what he needed well I proved those doctors wrong. He's my son, Chris made me a mother one with strength that I didn't know I had. Even with the heartaches I love this boy, this man, my son! Happy Birthday Chris!!!

5 comments:

Nicole Laird said...

Happy Born Day to him!!

Kristina said...

Happy Birthday, Chris!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! You are one amazing Mama! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Christine said...

You ROCK! Happy Birthday Chris!!

May our good Lord bless you abundantly!

-christine

Rosann said...

Happy 25th anniversary as a mother :)